Thursday, May 8, 2008

Doubt Much? By Meg Lynch 10

I have noticed a trend in myself, and with other people at Gordon. In fact, I would say it is a common theme with many college-age students who have “grown-up” in a Christian home. Tell me if this sounds familiar: a kid lives in a comfortably-Christian home, grows up listening to Bible-stories, and goes off to college. There, he realizes that he can actually choose whether or not to attend church, begins to doubt the faith he has blindly believed since 1st grade, and takes a step back. I’m not saying he turns and runs but that he begins to use his collegiately-crafted mind to wonder about these so-called truths.

Are doubts and questions an indication of weak Christianity? I don’t think so. A certain degree of questioning is necessary to achieve a personal faith—a faith that does not rest on the beliefs of those around us. “Does God truly answer prayer?” “Why would He allow so much pain?” “Is the risk of believing in something I’m not even sure of worthwhile and good?” These are all valid questions. If you have never wondered anything like this before, then I am incredibly jealous of you; you have been blessed with a trusting and steadfast spirit. For the rest of us, what does it all mean?

In my own life, there have been times when I’ve been frustrated by my doubts, and wondered why I couldn’t just believe. However, what is believing if there is nothing to question? God knows we don’t have it all together. Let’s just take a moment to stop and acknowledge that we never will. But that doesn’t mean we don’t or shouldn’t try.

One of the biggest problems with Christians our age is that we forget to try. We take the step back to evaluate our faith, but forget to follow-through. If you can sympathize with the questioning I have described, I urge you not to become so comfortable in your searching state that you cease to search. Ask the hard questions. But ask them with an open, willing heart and mind. Questioning God with a cynical heart will not produce answers.

The step back many of us take upon coming to Gordon is probably very healthy in order for any true spiritual growth to take place. However, I think there are variations of this stepping back that impede spiritual growth. While it is important for us to use our minds to question what has been preached, to discover a real faith, we must recognize that this has dire consequences if no actual effort towards a discovery is made.