Friday, April 25, 2008

NO PLACE LIKE HOME By Andrew Piercey '10

Gordon College’s Homeless Ministry recently endeavored to understand homelessness in a new way and to raise the Gordon Community’s awareness of homeless people’s experiences and lives. On the weekend of April 4th-6th they held a poverty and homelessness awareness weekend during which students lived on the steps of A.J. Chapel. Andrew Piercey, class of 2010, was one of the participants amongst other Gordonites: Rebecca Horner, Joe Durfey, Peter Yochim, Elizabeth Andrews, Angela Witmore, Savannah Patton, Hannah Matthews, Robert Ainslie, and Sergiy Barchuk

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9

If you are a member of The Salvation Army, it is likely that wherever you go, you will find you are somehow connected to everyone else in The Salvation Army. This statement rang true the day I met Bill, my homeless friend. Upon discovering our shared upbringing, we talked for hours about various Salvation Army happenings, and with every following Saturday, I found myself getting to know Bill on a more personal level. Sadly, the following summer did not allow for me to continue my frequent visits to Boston, but upon my return, Bill was waiting. Walking up to me, he placed twenty dollars in my pocket, told me to buy myself lunch, and thanked me for helping him out in his beginning stages of homelessness. I stood humbled.

While a group of us were recently living “homeless” upon the steps of A.J. Chapel, I found myself repeatedly thinking of how much a relationship changed Bill’s life-a relationship that started simply by acknowledging his presence. As the verse says, “defend the rights of the poor and needy.” Bill, along with the rest of the world, has the God-given right to feel visible. However, this right is unattainable if nobody bothers to look in your eyes and ask something as simple as “How are you doing today?” Recognizing the existence of a human being can change his or her life. The homeless men and women on the streets of Boston are not just statistics, but God’s children. A cup of coffee, or even a smile, may help them realize that.